Skip to main content

THE ROAD TO UPINGTON

Recently I was on a road trip to Upington, a town in Northern Cape in South Africa, to a friend's engagement party. Upington is known for being one of the hottest places in the country. And as hot as it was, and as far and as long as the drive was, I decided to just take the task that was before me with the eyes of curiosity and wonder of what lies out on the stretch of road. I always love going on adventures and travelling to places I've never been (a very effective way to keep life always interesting and fresh).  A full nine hour minibus drive I finally reached my destination. First time here, and I arrived at the “wee” hours of the morning, 4 a.m. to meet my ever-so-special-and-crazy friend whom I have never met but have been friends for six years (he was counting) via Facebook alone.

There was no catching up to be made either than on my sleep, then by seven in the morning we hit the ground strutting. I didn’t plan to do anything except eat and watch to loving people get engaged, but it seemed that my friends had other plans for my first time visit.  Skipping the unnecessary bits of information, the event was just amazing, and played decorators assistant (which was never my plan) and just enjoyed the unfolding of the evening.

The inspiration to write this piece came as I was now making my way back home with some backpackers (got a lift back to Joburg) and it hit me.

 Life really is a lot like a road trip. (I know it has been said many times and but it’s always good to revisit what you always know, in order keep it fresh and alive). Again, Life is like a road trip. Some roads are easier to drive. Some are not. Some roads are longer, others are shorter. But the design of the vehicle that's on them is always powerful to handle any terrain, and  The vehicle I am referring to is the human spirit. It is up to each drive to decide on which terrain he will put it through so as to see its resilient power, or if he will just allow it to parish in the dusty deserts of inhibition or ignorance.

The roads (to success and joy) are laid before you for you to trod, and each one works with the same road rules. Keep your vehicle road worthy. Drive in the designated area (if applicable). Keep to the speed limit (if applicable). And more importantly – Be vigilant.

You are always in the driver's seat of your life. And you always have to assume responsibility for whatever happens to you and how you handle the unforeseen occurrences. You may not carve out the path as you may wish it to be, but it is up to you to fit your vehicle with the necessary essentials. Good tyres, good oils, good gasoline, and good travelling companions and  good mindset and focus on your goals to make each of your journeys pleasant and the destination as smoothly reached as you could make it.

“Life is a highway, I wanna ride it all night all.”  ~ Bon Jovi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Business 101: Becoming an Investor.

What is one of the key disciplines that any successful corporation practises? INVESTING. Every business relies on investing for success, and for the incredibly successful businesses they invest like crazy; in R&D, and product lines. Heck, even our own economy relies on investors in order to grow. So why not be an investor. Probably the first and almost immediate objection to this suggestion is "I don't have money to invest." And I for one, am completely in agreements with that. However, why not invest the one resource that you always have at your disposal - TIME . That's right. Invest your time. Ah, suddenly it seems so obvious now doesn't it, but would you like to guess on how many people actually overlook this important fact? (By the way, this is can well be a lecture on time management). And since all investment have the dominant factor of Time in them, why not begin by turning your focus on this one incredible resource and use it to your personal investmen

Generation eXcellence

I was reading some wonderful notes from Robin Sharma's Little Black Book of Stunning Success ( http://www.robinsharma.com/leadership-best ) and a thought crossed my mind: have we settled for mediocrity in our society?  Have we  allowed ourselves to tolerate mediocrity in our lives, because the truth is we interact with the aspects of the world which match our own standards. We see the world not as it is but as we are . How often do we offer less than our best to the quality of relationships with ourselves and things.? Are we allowing the quality of our lives be compromised due to what everybody else is doing? This is even evident  to how we  treat nature. The care with which we have for our natural environment is something of grave concern, and many defend this mediocre behaviour with "everybody else is doing it." and the worst one yet, "We are creating jobs for others"  Have we accepted mediocrity to be the order of our generation's existence?  

“The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.”

“Be the change you want to see in the world.” ~ Gandhi.  How often have you had the thought of changing the world? If you are anything like me, I have it more often than I have a glass of warm milk with cookies (okay that’s wacky...anyway). Or maybe it is something more like,” how can one act make a difference?” but all to often for many people another thought creeps in, “Who am I? I am just a small drop in the ocean.” (see the picture on the left) Or, “It takes a really special, gifted, and powerful person to even think of changing the world. And “ I am neither special nor gifted, let alone powerful.” If you think you are too small to make a difference, try going to sleep with the mosquito in the room" ~ Dalai Lama Like me, you’ve probably have looked at legendary people who are making it and thought, “what is it that they have that I don’t or lack.” And the answer is – they have the conviction that they can make a difference; that they are an immense and integral part